ColdFusion 9 - available now
ColdFusion 9 is now available to download and purchase from the Adobe ColdFusion site.
The much anticipated release of the latest version of ColdFusion contains many new and exciting enhancements that further extend the functionality of the existing server-side application, and increase the interoperability between ColdFusion and external applications.
New features include:
- Integration with the new IDE, ColdFusion Builder - develop seamlessly and more efficiently, and stay in touch with your ColdFusion 9 installation through one interface
- Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) - create and develop tightly integrated database applications using ColdFusion Components without writing a single line of SQL code
- Server Manager - optimise the time spent managing servers and installations through one console; apply patches, clear caches and transfer settings easily
- Adobe AIR synchronisation - easily synchronise and update online and offline applications built using Adobe AIR with the new ColdFusion classes
- Office documents - create, update and edit Office documents, and convert Word and Powerpoint files to PDF, as well as create dynamic Flash presentations on the server
- ColdFusion as a Service - CFaaS opens up the ColdFusion server for amazingly easy integration into Flex and AIR applications, allowing them to utilise some of the fantastic features in ColdFusion 9 using proxy ActionScript classes
I am sure that the latest release of ColdFusion will prove to be an amazing tool. It certainly seems as though the Platform Developers and Evangelists have listened to the ColdFusion community to bring them a product they want, with new features that will optimise their development time and enhance the applications generated.
"We probably should have called it 'Cool Fusion'" - Ben Forta
Personally, I am incredibly excited about the deeper integration into Flex and AIR applications, and using ColdFusion as a Service - this will open up a lot more functions and server-side functionality to use within the RIA products, and allow for a richer experience in any applications developed.
If you haven't already obtained the trial editions of ColdFusion 9 or ColdFusion Builder, make sure you grab a copy. Installation is easy, quick and painless, and the obvious joy of developing with ColdFusion will become even more apparent.
Find out more about: